Thursday, April 2, 2009

Costco

We don’t shop at Costco often, but there are a few items that I can get there cheaper than other places (broccoli, spinach, celery, carrots, lettuce and we really like their organic sprouted bread). Until Bug got old enough to start eating solids, I had pretty much ignored the samples. I swear, a mom must’ve come up with this idea. Going into Costco with a fidgety toddler who hates to sit in a cart, who at the very sight of little samples of food will sit calmly for the whole time I’m shopping is wonderful.

We had to make a quick trip yesterday to pick up a few things right around lunchtime. It was raining when we arrived and all of the carts were soaked. I was so thankful when we came inside and the greeters had towels to wipe down them down so that kids don’t have to sit in a wet seat (plus it decreases the amount of puddles around the store that people could slip in).

We made our way to the back and Bug snacked on bites of turkey and carrot sticks while I grabbed our necessities.

I also have to add that I love looking at toys and kids books there, especially around Christmas time. They always have a great selection that is reasonably priced. In years past, I’ve had very good luck buying book sets to give as presents that were all within my budget.

We almost always stop in the food area up front to buy lunch because it is so cheap – you can’t beat $1.50 for a hot dog/sausage and a drink or $1.99 for a slice of pizza (you can also call ahead and order a whole 18” pizza for only $9.99).

As much as I like the deals on the food though, they definitely need to amp up their cleaning in this area. I almost always have to clean the table myself. I also don’t like having garbage cans right next to the tables because Bug inevitably puts her hands all over them. I also wish their tables were organized a little better. It’s a little difficult to manage keeping your cart near you while eating unless you get lucky and an end spot opens up. I also would appreciate having some high chairs there as well because Bug often falls off of the picnic-table benches while she’s trying to reach her food.

Have you noticed any other kid friendly things at Costco?

4 comments:

chanceofbooks April 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

We get the Earth's Best Organics Baby food there (yes, I know I really should make my own :))). I also like the microfiber cloths (over in auto for some strange reason) as super cheap diaper doublers for cloth diapering. One of DD's favorite foods is the Salmon Burgers that we get there--gluten free, no artificial ingredients, and she loves them. We also get the Omega Eggs. We do a lot at Cost Co.

Kid Friendly Salem April 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

Ooh yes, those microfiber inserts are wonderful!

Anonymous April 4, 2009 at 1:04 AM  

I agree. The samples MUST have been the brain power of a mother. The only thing I don't like is when they have a few spicy samples. Those aren't so kid friendly. :o( The other day they had spicy chips and pepperjack cheese. Since there were only about 5 samples that day, the kids only got to have 3 of them. Beggars can't be choosers, right?

Also, great blog. Something that could really benefit local families. Thanks for starting it up.

AJ June 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

It's awesome that they draw smiley faces on the receipts for kids, and in generall their staff is just always cool and supportive with moms and kids. They understand if kids have to ride on the cart, and they are always very friendly and acknowledge the kids at checkout. I do appreciate how they carry a lot of heathier alternatives, like the potato chips, organic oatmeal, quinoa, huge selection of fruit, etc.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP